To begin this exercise I prepared 6 sheets of A2 acrylic painting paper by giving them an extra coat of gesso as working with oils I have found that even paper prepared for acrylic seems to suck up the oil paint, sometimes to a point were I loose definition.
I had saved a few bottles from the recycling to try to use for squirting.
Heading out to my garage and whilst waiting for the sheets to dry I started to work on the consistency of paint.
Mixing a couple of colours with thinner I began dribbling it on but whilst he paper was on an easel, as it dribbled I turned the paper one turn and got caught up in doing this.
As you can see the oil/solvent was sinking into the paper, however I left this to one side as its not reminiscent of Jackson Pollock, but I liked it and intend to go back to it, perhaps to practice washes/glazing, or play with it somehow.
Looking at Jackson Pollock his work was very large and I wondered if it would be possible to achieve these effects on the smaller scale. I noted that he had a love of Jazz music and so made sure to take my ipod out with me as part of the experiment.
On the Floor.My first attempt was very simple, but managed to show me how much the effects were reliant on the consistency of the paint. Here the purple was the first colour on was very dilute and the blues and yellow thicker and finally the red. As I picked up the paper from the floor and give it a shake I got the movement in the downward angle and some of the colours started to merge.
On the Floor.Starting on a dark grey ground this time I threw on the red and moved it around with a paint brush (and later wished I hadn’t). Then using white and a few spatters of yellow and blue. The paint was too thin and started to just merge into a wet mass. I put this to one side.
On the Floor. This time I was conscious of making a picture. Blue and white spattered on but very dilute. Then picking up the paper and shaking it to mix the colours on the page. Next quite thick (custard consistency) greens flicked on with a brush and spatters of red purple and yellow and pink. Ended up with something like a wildflower medow.
Next I attached two pieces of A2 together and taped it to the garage wall. Put on the ipod and with Nina Simone blasting in my ears I went for it with dramatic downward, mainly, strokes of prussian blue and a glorious crimson.
It looks like there’s been a massacre! The smudgy red was squirted from a sauce bottle. When showing this to my daughter she remarked that It reminded her of how a psychopath would behave in a horror movie and the very rhythmic music would be just the sort of background they would play!! Oh dear! But I see her point.
I found getting the right consistency tricky, and especially using oils it was an expensive exercise, using a whole bottle of thinner quite quickly.
It’s difficult to know when these are finished. With oils you can get to a stage where everything is very wet and more paint has to wait to the next day, rather losing the spontaneity.
Taking sections from the last painting you can see the effects of the paint on each other. As in this one the paint was applied quite physically there is a lot more happening.
There is a feathering in some places and in others the paints have started to mix.
Using a squirting bottle has given a fine spray.
Flicking wrist action has given some interesting angles.
Very enjoyable exercise and quite physical to do.