Tags

, , ,

This exercise did suggest using oils due to their slow drying properties.  At the moment I don’t have oils, or the funds to get any so I may revisit this after pay day :). So I have tackled it with my acrylic paints.

DSC_0060

 

 

Beginning in my sketchbook with the old credit card as suggested. I used neat paint, on its edge, used like a plasterer, the card could lay down  a good solid amount of colour, which would make for a speedy application on a large area.

DSC_0059

Using a a couple of painting knives, a large and a small, carving into thicker paint with the point of the knife (yellow ochre)  and creating texture by using the small knife and laying layers very close (blue).

DSC_0062

 

 

 

Realising sketchbook not really big enough went on to A2. Laying ground with credit card and using knives.

DSC_0061

Now I had the bigger paper, remembering the Gerhard Richter I’d seen at the weekend I took the credit card again and swept colours across the paper.  Using the edge of the card to create uprights. Thinking this was unstructured play I did notice, however that you do need to consider what colours to choose and how much to use and when to stop.

DSC_0058 (1)

Back to the sketchbook, laying a ground of Cadmium yellow and using purple on top – the yellow is extremely strong and the purple ended up looking brown. The top four marks are a toothbrush. The bottom four are corrugated cardboard, cut into a zig zag at one end creating three prongs, could be useful tool if need a regular pattern. Dipping the uncut edge in the paint also created a print of the inside

DSC_0057 (1)

 

Following on from the print discovery, used bubble wrap, top left.  Then painted through a paper doyley, particularly liked the yellow on yellow which produced a sort of jacquard effect.

 

 

DSC_0057

Whilst waiting for the sketchbook to dry again, back to A2.  This time using screwed up rag.  This gives a softer effect and would take time to build up depth of colour – but pleasing as acrylic colour used,so far has been very bold.

 

 

GetAttachmentGetAttachment-2 I was a little frustrated with the quick drying properties of the acrylic paint, so I added a ‘retardant’ to the purple and tried scratching in a rough drawing of my coffee mug with a wok brush. This wasn’t very successful, I may not have added enough retardant, so I then started to draw with the wok brush over this. I like the rough effect and its quite exciting that if creates a looser style of work as you have only a limited amount of control with the brush, you cant be absolutely sure where the paints going.

DSC_0064

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There are endless ways that paint can be applied and the learning for this exercise is that the experimentation will go on……and on……..

I would imagine that this will become part of the preparatory process for producing paintings going forward.

The whole experience will probable be different again with oil paints.

 

Reflection at point of submitting for assessment  – I definitely should have gone back and done this again in oils.  I did however, go on to use oils, pretty much exclusively with the encouragement of my tutor.  I also very much enjoyed the experimentation and did indeed continue this throughout the module, on many occasions preferring to not use brushes at all most notably in my last assignment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements