First we are asked to “start by exploring the range of marks and shapes that can be made with you brushes”.

I have painted before this course, but it was mainly playing and attempting to use watercolour.  I have a limited amount of brushes at the moment that are suitable for acrylic and the medium itself is fairly new to me.

I played on sheets of A2 and made a note alongside the daubs as to which type of brush I used. It quickly became apparent that acrylic behaves very differently, according to how much water is involved in mixing the paint and brush strokes are very visible – which could be both and advantage and a disadvantage depending on the look one is going for.

The next part of the exercise asks us to “from memory, paint a small and simple landscape (about A4).  As a daily walker, I am outside a lot, but sitting down to paint from memory was harder than I expected.  I painted two pictures of familiar dog walks.

DSC_0050

My first attempt. I struggled at first with no reference to work from, but as I realised acrylic can be painted over constantly, I relaxed a little.

Conclusions from this painting

  • you can see every brush stroke
  • mixing colours is going to take practice
  • This only really came to life when I added the shadows
  • I think I am going to want to work larger, acrylic feels like an expressive medium that would work better if one doesn’t tighten up.
  • I will need to load the brushes better – this is very scratchy as if i’m afraid of using the paint.
  • Acrylic dries really fast!

I tried another……

DSC_0052

Conclusions from this one…..

  • I can successfully paint over ….but better after it dries.
  • Again…colour mixing 😦
  • There are a few more brush uses in this one
  • Both pictures, better viewed from distance….take a step back regularly.

“Paint a piece of fruit”

DSC_0055

Working in my sketchbook this time, I thought I would use only three colours, noticing my my mixing wasn’t so good last time, I thought this would be an opportunity to try other ways to achieve colour.  In this first page I used Lemon Yellow, Cadmium Red and Black.

  • The first attempt is a watercolour like approach, but this paint dries so fast it was tricky.
  • Second i used a bolder approach using a firm, square headed flatter brush, less water, more paint – better for the medium I think.
  • Third started with a rough brush and then finished with a soft one for more definition.

DSC_0056

Page two.

Trying two different colours, Cadmium Yellow and Crimson (and black).

  • The first attempt here has the most successful stalk! 🙂 I took more time and layers, usting the fact that I could correct as I go with acrylic.  Brush marks show and colours mixed on the paper.
  • Second attempt – I tried again with lots of water – more successfully this time I think and the shadow in a colour – I like.

 

NB (for me)

Need a sheet of paper to test colours and water content.

Keep Kitchen roll handy and several jars of water to keep brushes really clean, if this dries your brushes are ruined.

 

 

Advertisements